Understanding roles and responsibilities of Designated Safeguarding Leads in Early Years Settings to promote skills and confidence in managing referrals, coordinating safeguarding work and supporting staff in their safeguarding duties. Meeting statutory requirements in keeping children safe.
An Introduction to Safeguarding course should have been attended within the last year if this is the participant's first time on a DSL course. Please note – Managers & Deputies should not attend together. If driving, please ensure you leave enough time to find a car parking space as these are very limited in the immediate area. Also, as a courtesy to other attendees and the training lead, please arrive in good time for a prompt start - if you arrive more than 15 minutes late you may not be admitted and you may be charged the full cost of the course (£150).
- Responsibilities of the Designated Safeguarding Lead
- Meeting Ofsted Requirements: What needs to be in place in my setting?
- Sharing good practice: What works well in developing systems and procedures
- The legal framework for safeguarding and the requirements of EYFS
- Refreshing knowledge of types of abuse and possible indicators
- The thresholds for intervention and making referrals
- Best practice in responding to concerns, managing disclosures, recording and information sharing
- The Child Protection Process: Case conferences and core groups
- Strategies to support staff and raise awareness
- Learning from reviews and understanding safeguarding risks
- Safer working practice in the Early Years
- Responding to allegations about people working with children
An awareness of the responsibilities of the Designated Safeguarding Lead An opportunity for collaborative learning about good practice Promoting skills and confidence in carrying out this role
For all queries please email Safeguardingineducation@walthamforest.gov.uk The cost of the course (£150) is NOT inclusive of refreshments. Attendees will need to bring a packed lunch or make their own arrangements at lunchtime. Note: If you are unable to attend the course after booking and cannot send a substitute, please ensure that you inform us of this at least 5 working days prior to the course so we may offer your place to somebody else. Failure to do so will result in your setting being charged the full cost of the course (£150).
Designated Safeguarding Leads within Early Years Settings